Monday, February 1, 2010

Tick-Off Tuesday

<span class=

Created by Carrie! Thanks for giving us a reason to complain!


Hayden and I have story time at least twice a day and for Christmas she got The Real Mother Goose book. I have been reading out of it for a couple of days now and WOW that is a very weird book. After today's poem that went like this:

Solomon Grundy
Born on a Monday
Christened on Tuesday
Married on Wednesday
Took ill on Thursday
Worse on Friday
Died on Saturday
Buried on Sunday
This is the end
of Solomon Grundy

I mean WHAT THE HELL?! What is the moral to this story? That you might get sick and die? I mean seriously couldn't they come up with something better if it is to teach the days of the week? I checked to make sure this book was for children...

"For more than seventy-five years The Real Mother Goose has been delighting millions of children, and today the magic is as strong as ever." This is a sentence describing the collection of rhymes and verses that are collaborated into The Real Mother Goose book.

I have read a lot of crazy poems throughout school, but this book is 90% full of crap so far, I hope it gets better, but I am very disappointed in the sales lady who tried to sale me this book!

4 comments:

  1. While reading nursery rhymes to Tanner out of the book, we've more than once stopped mid-sentence b/c of what we were about to read. Rock-a-bye baby has always disturbed me. I found this when I was doing some research online. It gives the meanings behind popular nursery rhymes. Its crazy that these are meant for children. They are very disturbing!

    http://www.rhymes.org.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... Goosey Goosey Gander is crazy too....
    _____________________________________________

    Goosey Goosey Gander where shall I wander,
    Upstairs, downstairs and in my lady's chamber
    There I met an old man who wouldn't say his prayers,
    I took him by the left leg and threw him down the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That song is on Tanner's lullabye CD. I hope he never digs too deep into those songs once he gets a little older.

    {Sorry, I made 3 posts out of this} HAHA...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I completely agree. All of the real fairy tales are terrible and morbid too. I posted about it here...

    http://thelafones.blogspot.com/2009/01/fairy-tales-and-two-pictures.html

    PS- In the real Peter Pan, Tinkerbell was a whore who had orgies with all the other fairies. Hence why my children have no Tinkerkbell toys. ;-)

    ReplyDelete