Friday, March 13, 2009

Pee Sticks and Needles

Here are the new additions to my pocket book

Yesterday I went to the Endocrinologist and after an hour of getting the dos and donts my new way of living was underway. First thing in the morning I have to test my urine for Ketones. Ketones build up in your system when your body does not get enough carbs and therefore your body starts using your fat deposits for energy. This is how the Adkins diet works, but it is also why it can be very dangerous if continued for prolonged periods of time, like a diabetic's diet. Then I have to test my "fasting sugar" and eat breakfast. I have to record the exact time because I have to test my blood sugar two hours after breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I also have to eat two snacks - one am and one pm. However none of this can overlap the time intervals. Last night I had to eat a snack at 9:30 because I did not eat dinner until 7:30. The meals are so difficult to follow. There are several different ways to do it. I can count carbs, measure out everything, use suggestion tables, or pick meal options. The most difficult part is that I feel like I am missing out on lots of food groups that are good for the baby, but I guess that is what the prenatal vitamins are for. Milk, orange juice, grape juice, and fruit are some of my favorite things and all of these have so many carbs they are independently a whole snack or half of a meal. So basically if I want to "eat" that means water with everything. I haven't figured out which method is the easiest yet. This morning I counted and for breakfast I had one packet of grits and one egg. Yesterday my blood sugars were not that great, but this morning I was glad to see I was in range. I am really trying to follow this perfectly because when I go back on Monday I don't want the doctor to put me on insulin injections. Well it's time for another finger prick, but I don't even care because I get to see my baby in 3D tonight and I am SO excited!

3 comments:

  1. Ugh! That seems like a lot to keep up with. I guess all that recording and testing will pass the time faster and before you know it, it will all be over and she'll be here :)

    I am pouting that I can't be there tonight. I know it's gonna be fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man...I guess it's a good thing your aren't working! You would get fired for missing all this work to go to the dr everyday! Can't wait to see the 3D pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I HATE finger pricks. So sorry you have to do all of this.

    I can't wait to see the 3D pictures!

    ReplyDelete