June 2, 2009
6:21 pm
8 lbs 9 oz
20.25"
The Labor Story
We arrived at the hospital Tuesday morning at 7:00 am. I was the only one in labor and delivery at the time. We signed a few papers and were quickly taken to the delivery room. I received a flexible IV were fluids and Pitocin were administered. I was already having contractions, dilated, and effaced when I arrived. The Pitocin was increased every 30 mins. The contractions started off being between 7-5 mins apart then 5-3 mins then 3-1.5 mins. Eventually, I got an epidural to take the "edge" off. Soon after that I began pushing and it all happened so very fast. I pushed for about an hour and thirty minutes but she was crowning for about an hour. This caused her to get a hematoma (a large collection of blood on her head) which may last for several weeks to months so we have to be very careful when handling her head. This collection of blood has caused her to have a little jaundice. Other than that she is perfect! We got home Thursday around lunch and she is doing great. She is a pro at breast feeding but mommy doesn't have much to offer and she sleeps like a champ. She doesn't cry that often and she already takes a binky. Her first doctor appointment was Friday and unfortunately she had lost more weight. She was 8/9 at birth 8/3 when we left the hospital and 7/12 at her appointment. Due to her weight loss I have to supplement with formula. We go to check her weight again on Sunday morning and then we will go from there. My milk still has not come in but I am going to continue to try to breastfeed as well. She has a blister on her top lip from sucking so hard on my breast so she was a little overwhelmed with her first bottle and I know it must be so confusing to her because I have to breast feed as I normally would and then offer her 2 oz of formula. I am suppose to pump while she is getting her bottle which makes feeding her a non-stop process. Now I just have to learn to go to sleep when she is asleep (easier said than done). It is not that I am not sleepy but I just want to sit and stare at her to make sure she is okay. I could not have asked for a more perfect baby and I want to thank everyone for all of their prayers! We feel so blessed that everything went smoothly and we were able to bring home a healthy baby girl! The entire process is such a miracle and God is absolutely AMAZING! We never knew we could love her so much and she is going to be very spoiled! I am going to hold her every second and pick her up every time she cries because I know it won't be long before she won't let me hold her. I am going to savor every second I have with her. I love being a mommy and it really is the best job in the world! I will continue to put up pictures so everyone can watch her grow as she rapidly changes over these next few weeks.
Pitocin is terrible huh? Ugh! I hate it.
ReplyDeleteHopefully breatfeeding will get easier.
I would sit and stare at Caroline too. I was scared to death that I would fall asleep and not hear her but you will. I promise! Haha!
I hope she is sleeping well for you guys. Keep us updated and LOTS of pictures of that cute little turkey nugget! She is so pretty!
Yes, you should hold her as much as you can. I only had 3 months with Tanner. After that, my cuddle bug was gone :( I'm glad everything is going well and I hope nursing gets better!
ReplyDelete